It’s been busy, busy, busy these last few weeks. We had friends to stay one weekend, went to Norfolk last weekend for my sister’s birthday and we’ve been to the Cotswolds this weekend with some of my uni friends……phew, fun but tiring!
There has been little time for long leisurely cooking but now it’s Sunday evening and therefore time for me and Mr HFTB to relax. We’ve just polished off a roast dinner and felt like a cheeky little pudding might be in order but I didn’t want to spend an age baking. There was only one thing for it:
Sunday Shortbread with Strawberry Jam
Serves Two for a Treat
- 50 grammes good quality buttery vegan spread (I think I’ve already espoused my
personal preference for Vitalite)
- 25 grammes golden caster sugar
- 80 grammes plain flour
To serve :
- Strawberry Jam
- Soya Cream
- Pre-heat your oven to 190 c. Grease a baking tray.
- Put the butter and sugar into a mixing bowl and beat together until fluffy. Add the flour and beat for another 30 seconds until well combined, this should give you a mixture which is almost a breadcrumb type texture. Knead into a dough.
- Now if you are being good and patient you should wrap the dough into clingfilm and chill in the fridge for twenty minutes. This allows the fat in the mixture to harden and prevents the dough from relaxing too quickly in the oven, you will get a crumblier less gluteny texture to your shortbread if you do this. If it’s Sunday evening and life is too short to make perfect shortbread, then skip this step and go straight to 4.
- Roll the dough out on your work surface with a rolling pin until approx 1 centimetre thick and cut out using the cookie cutter of your choice. Place on the baking tray.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 15 minutes or until pale golden brown. You can either place these on a wire rack to cool or serve them straight from the oven with a dollop of strawberry jam and some vegan cream.Tuck in!