So, where to begin with a first post? I thought why not start this blog the same way I start every day – breakfast.
I am a BIG breakfast fan, I can’t help it, I love it.
I wholly subscribe to the mantra that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and I am likely to be found having the biggest throw down if I am expected to leave the house without first having eaten.
Given my ability to snooze long beyond the first dulcet tones of my alarm clock, Monday to Friday breakfast tends to be more about speed than flavour, but come Saturday and Sunday, ahhhh the weekend, well, then breakfast is an altogether more leisurely affair.
Favourites include a vegan friendly full-english, spinach and mushrooms, non-jaevos rancheros, breakfast hash, griddle pan waffles and sweetcorn fritters, but there is one standout favourite……. pancakes.
Don’t tell anyone (especially not my husband who literally goes a bit weak at the knees when these are served up) but these are super easy to make and will be loved by vegans and non-vegans alike:
Vegan Breakfast Pancakes
Makes 20 medallion sized pancakes
Vegan Breakfast Pancakes : Rest assured that this piddley dribble of maple syrup was for aesthetic purposes only. As soon as the camera was away, we drowned those bad boys.
- 200 grams plain flour
- 280 ml almond milk
- 3 tbsp unrefined golden caster sugar
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 0.5 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Pinch of salt
- Olive oil for frying
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and then add the sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt. Beat in the almond milk to form a thick batter.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan then use a tablespoon to drop the batter into the pan to form medallion sized pancakes.
- Wait until the batter on the upper side of the pancake is drying at the edges and bubbling in the centre, then flip to cook the second side, this should take only a minute.
Serve as you see fit – everyone has their own preferred pancake topping – but I would heartily recommend going for the classic, and our household favourite, approach of pouring on a decadent measure of maple syrup… enough so that the plate looks like some crazy breakfasty pancake swimming pool.